[Greenbuilding] Tap-Water Radon RE: FW: radon question

Carmine Vasile gfx-ch at msn.com
Wed Apr 4 08:41:42 CDT 2012

Clarke: The procedures you recommend are insufficient for millions of homes in NY State. For example, if you live on Long Island -- where the Brookhaven National Laboratory superfund site is located, and are supplied by the Suffolk County Water Authority (SCWA) another uncontrolled source of Radon is tap water. See list of Towns in
http://www.gfxtechnology.com/Table-A.pdf and supplemental well analysis in the footnotes. Uncle Sam has blocked the proposed MCL of 300 pCi/L for Radon for over a decade. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, yet the EPA doesn't mandate venting water distribution systems fed directly by wells instead of vented water towers or reservoirs. To make matters worse, the EPA doesn't require the SCWA to monitor photon (gamma) emissions; only Gross Alpha/Beta although the MCLis 4 mrem per year for beta/photon contamination -- not 50 pCi/L that NYS health officials pass off as the federal MCL! Carmine