[Greenbuilding] FW: apples, oranges, and u values

Douglas E Lamb douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com
Mon Apr 16 13:02:31 CDT 2012

Mr. Abrams,

Mr. Straube is correct in the percent of difference between U and R values
in the US vs.. EU.
But as I see it these differences are based upon climate and energy
conditions that are different in EU than in the US and therefore promote the
different data and are only minimal in range.
The main issue is that the glazing products are built different with
different tolerances and configurations. i.e..e. thermal break distance,
glazing thickness, thick of metal and type of coatings coating, etc.
The amount of wood used to enclose the glazing in the EU is often less than
what is used in this country.
This affects overall size of windows.
Getting the correct window size form the EU window to fit a bedroom by code
for example wood be very costly.
I could see 25% to 50% difference in cost to cover such a condition.

Mr. Straube contention is also correct that approvals by agencies with
performance and quality oversight of imported materials would have a
considerable impact on their availability and pricing also.

Cheers,
Doug Lamb
douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com

  _____