[Greenbuilding] apples, oranges, and u values

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Mon Apr 16 15:45:52 CDT 2012

<Mr. Abrams,

We simply use different mathematics, and physics symbols to represent the
same thing. (metrics vs. imperial); yards vs. meters, inches vs.
millimeters, etc>

Mr Lamb-

thanks for your reply.  I am familiar with several systems of mensuration.
in my callow youth, when I foolishly swapped a perfectly good R69S for a
Lightning, I learned quickly that neither my metric nor my Murkin wrenches
would fit a Whitworth bolt...IOW's, I am well aquainted with such
international conversions and consternations...but if I grit my teeth and
mind my decimal points, I can convert Btu's to Joules.  OTOH, ever mindful
of the notorious Mars Climate Orbiter debacle, I try to avoid it at all
costs...

...SketchUp seems to have taken all the fun out of the Pilkington,
absorbing it (or some similar algorithm) into their shadow display
function.  simply set your azimuth and latitude, and orbit for all you're
worth.

but I do look forward to tinking with the Pilkington glazing programs--if
they would ever load...

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Douglas E Lamb <douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com