[Greenbuilding] Tree inoculation against Emerald Ash Borer

Steve Houlihan sho11 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 20 12:27:28 CDT 2012

Maybe this explains why I can't buy ash hollow core doors anymore.

  A few years ago I decided to replace all the hollow core ash doors in
my house with solid maple, raised panel doors that a local company was
selling at a very good price.  They used some sort of a laser
measurement system and brought out doors that fit into the existing
openings.  BUT, the more I thought about it, and the more I read all the
letters on this list, I realized that I was cutting down several trees
and sending 12 perfectly good doors to the landfill for no other reason
than that I thought they would look better.  Thanks to the "Green
Building List" I am a better person today!

Two of my doors still needed replacing due to damage.  That was when I
found out that I could no longer get ash doors.  I ended up using oak
and staining it to match.  Nobody, except me, would ever notice the
difference.

Steve