[Greenbuilding] Making tongue and groove flooring from roughcut lumber

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 22 12:18:26 CDT 2012

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:12:35 -0400, Norman Feldman
<nfeldman at fountainhouse.org> wrote:

> I'd be curious if anyone knows of other manufacturers who could process
> small amounts of lumber.

Don't know about the New Jersey area but here in any part of Ontario where
I've lived, all one has to do is speak to anyone who runs a sawmill or
lumberyard (a real lumberyard, not a Home Despot) and they are likely to
know of many millwork outfits in the area and will also give
recommendations as to who does the better work. Better yet, visit the
operations and have a look at samples of their work as it comes out of the
planer/shaper.
Look for chatter marks, tear-out, wonky edging, dips at the ends etc.

ie It'd be a shame to have beautiful boards butchered by some hack-job
millwork .

And if you don't know where the local sawmills may be, speak to long-time
farmers in the area and ask them where they take their trees to be sawn
into lumber.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")