[Greenbuilding] cistern questions

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 09:46:43 CDT 2012

Thanks to both of you, Rob Tom and John for your sensible responses.  I
think I may put a cistern under what will essentially be a somewhat
insulated porch, but will bury it and support the addition instead
with a combination
of joists that come off the house and Hedge posts in the ground.  The need
to insulate, as you both suggest, makes using the cistern for support too
complicated*.  I appreciate your responding to my question.

Or, more likely, I'll keep your advice in mind as I figure out how to
accomplish what I'm wanting.

* In fact, come to think about it, as I ponder out loud here, we have some
inherited CMU blocks lying around and the idea of using these, with
insulation between them and the cistern, is a great idea and not difficult
to do.  Moreover, if I can bring the cistern up to the base of the floor
above, we wouldn't have to have a vastly deep hole to dig for it.  Killing
two birds with one stone; and there's the feng shui as well.

Appreciatively,  Sacie