[Greenbuilding] Old Nuclear Power Plants? RE: Give Me Your Old, Your Tired, Your Stinky and Energy Inefficient...

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 12 18:35:36 CDT 2012

What you say is true; that eight hour window of opportunity seems rather
stingy.  During the winter months, there's a mid-peak period between
12h00 and 16h00 that would allow water heaters to be boosted
mid-afternoon, if need be, but at a cost twice that of the off-peak rate.

NSP's TOU rates are currently restricted to homes equipped with electric
thermal storage heating systems and this accounts for the late start
(they don't want these sizeable loads switching on any sooner).  I
expect all residential accounts will be switched to TOU eventually, and
at that point the hours will most likely be fine-tuned.

Cheers,
Paul