[Greenbuilding] Passive House Overheating

Matt Dirksen dirksengreen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 10:43:33 CDT 2012

I've certainly read up on Passivehaus over the years, but this article (and
other’s I’ve read) make me wonder how one designs these homes to properly
accommodate for *potential* of overheating – especially during peak loads?

I am curious how it was determined that a house is considered "overheating"
when it surpasses 77 degrees ten percent of the year? Is that during
daylight hours or a 24 hour period? Because the reality is, if one’s house
overheats for up to a third of the Summer, I’d expect some serious
complaints to arise.

In other words: does PH actually design for the anticipation of a 10+
person summer birthday party which happens to land in the middle of a
heat/humidity wave?

It would seem to me that a “dumb-ole” back up air conditioner would still
be required for events like this no matter what. But if that’s the case,
wouldn’t that count against the 4.75 kbtu/h measurement?

Obviously I am seeking more enlightenment on this subject, but the “data”
simply hasn’t eased my skepticism yet.

Thanks,

Matt