[Greenbuilding] Passive House Overheating

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Aug 15 12:14:32 CDT 2012

the issue of overheating from direct solar gain raises a number of related
issues.

first, the use of exterior shading.  southern exposures in moderate
latitudes only require a 18"-24" overhang to fully protect a 5'-6' window
in early summer, and allow full sun in the dead of winter.  E-W windows are
almost impossible to control with overhangs--but can be inexpensively and
effectively controlled with Interactive Shading Devices (aka shutters).

this raises the subsidiary issue--to preserve cross ventilation while a
(louvered) shutter is closed--precludes conventional outswinging casement
windows.  But double hungs--the traditional solution--have significantly
higher air leakage rates than casements.  for example, aluminum clad
WeatherShield casements are 2 1/2 times tighter than their DH's, per lin.
ft of edge, tested at the same design pressure.   (moreover, DH's have the
extra edge at the lock rail)

this leads one toward the tilt-turn style window, commonly associated with
PH.

second, so-called overheating is subjective--comfort being dependent on RH
as much as temperature.  in an airtight PH with stabilized RH, 80 deg F is
fine.  similarly, 80 deg with a cross breeze is great for sitting around
doing a sudoku.  to a certain extent, PHPP can be "gamed" to take advantage
of this, by manipulating the "summer ventilation" module.

third--is the overheating local within the building, or is it distributed?
in a classic PH house, which relies on low air circulation rates, a given
room on the sunny side might be subject to pronounced overheating, while
the shady side of the building might remain comfortable.  but in a building
that relies on a conventional mechanical system--to lower latent heat
loads--the local heat gain might be satisfactorily distributed and
diluted.  PHPP of course has a provision to evaluate local over-cooling in
winter, but not for overheating.

regardless, it is not entirely unreasonable to organize spaces in a
building so that even if a given space overheats, it is not used during the
critical hours--for example, to place the bedroom of a night owl type on
the west side of a building.  in which case, one may need to toss PH under
the bus.

-aa