[Greenbuilding] Passive House Overheating

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:53:47 CDT 2012

I'm probably missing something, but if we're talking about a very well
insulated house, what part of this potential for overheating do openable
windows and shutters fail to address? I live in a climate that features
cool nights in the summer, and my house isn't even that well insulated, but
we do fine. Or is the extra insulation in the walls trapping the heat that
does manage to enter more effectively than windows open at night can exhale
it?

I assumed that really good insulation worked both ways (cold out in winter,
heat out in summer), but of course I've never lived in a house that was
that well insulated.