[Greenbuilding] a devil's bargain

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:15:44 CDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Jason Holstine <jason at amicusgreen.com>wrote:

>  There is little expectation for China to reduce total energy demands...

...nor of our government for that matter. Plenty of myopic opinion makers
out there. It's an equal opportunity game.

> so in this prism the framework is realistic that swapping coal for gas in
> that economy is a GHG improvement.

The only GHG improvement that has meaning for homo sapiens and our coast
lines is a rapid cessation of all emissions from burning fossil fuels.
Rearranging the deck chairs: giving fracked natural gas better views and
telling coal to take steerage isn't really where it's at.

> So if we build all these domestic fracking and exporting operations and
> they end up unused b/c the Chinese keep it in house...maybe that’s the best
> argument to keep it in the ground here?

I predict they will be unused either way. Sooner or later we'll get smart
and listen to those voices in our heads.