[Greenbuilding] ... device to purify human waste, make compost and generate electricity

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Sun Aug 19 11:22:46 CDT 2012

On 8/18/2012 10:23 PM, Steve Satow wrote:
> Corwyn, to say that you can fertilise with "human wastes that have done
> nothing more than compost" is not strictly true.
> The process need to be thermophilic in order to break down potential
> pathogens, otherwise it cannot be used as fertiliser in most jurisdictions…

It IS strictly true.  My compost pile was over 120°F for more than 2
months, and over 140°F for a week or so.  It was plenty thermophilic.
Pathogens die in hours at 140°F.  The only extra work I put in was
watering it if it got too dry (two or three times, this year).

--
Topher Belknap
Green Fret Consulting
topher at greenfret.com