[Greenbuilding] ok - why do houses have to have stay the same tempinside?

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Sun Aug 19 11:40:35 CDT 2012

On 8/19/2012 8:45 AM, Lynelle Hamilton wrote:
> /I'm not certain that we actually do.  I know folks who readily crank
> the A/C to 70F in the summer, but who would never allow the house to
> cool to that point in the winter.  I do recall a heating contractor who
> advised me to install a/c and set the house at one temp year round.  It
> was not only incredibly wasteful, but not at all comfortable. It also
> ignores such things as air movement and humidity--both factors in comfort.

I audited a commercial building which, on the beautiful October day, was
running their air conditioners on a very short cycle.  I stood and
listened to them for 10 minutes, and they went on for 30 seconds, off
for 90.  Turns out the sophisticated control systems were set to 72°F
for both heating and cooling, and they were fighting it out all day
long.  Mind you it was about 72°F *outside*!

We got a nice thank you note from them that Christmas, saying that they
had saved over $4,000 already by implementing our recommendations.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap