[Greenbuilding] ... device to purify human waste, make compost and generate electricity

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Mon Aug 20 08:45:37 CDT 2012

On 8/20/2012 1:01 AM, Benjamin Pratt wrote:
> It seems to me that the best solution is an old one--digging a deep
> enough hole--as in an outhouse. If one wants to use the waste as
> compost, it is simply a matter of digging a new hole (perhaps moving
> the "outhouse" if there is a need for privacy), and then waiting a
> sufficient time before reclaiming the waste as compost.

There are a number of problems with outhouses.  The first is that it
needs to be outside.  Also, it requires digging a hole, and later
digging out the waste.  It puts the waste below the top few inches of
topsoil where most of the bio-activity is.  Generally, they are not
aerobic, so it takes longer for the wastes to compost, and produces a
nasty smell.  Since there is no thermophilic phase, it is harder to be
assured that no pathogens remain.  A proper composting toilet and pile
avoid all these problems.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--