[Greenbuilding] Nyle HPWH Update

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 4 19:50:09 CST 2012

I received my Nova Scotia Power bill earlier today and our energy
consumption during the most recent billing cycle is down 25 per cent
even though our space heating demands this fall were 25 per cent higher.

See: i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/NSP2012-11.jpg

Our new Nyle heat pump water heater certainly deserves at least some
credit for this; by my accounting, it has cut our DHW costs in half, but
perhaps the single largest share of savings can be attributed to the
reduction in the runtime of our dehumidifier (the Nyle heats our water
and, at the same time, dehumidifies our basement, thus providing two
services for the price of one).

On an annualized basis, our total household consumption for our now
all-electric home has fallen to 8,635 kWh/year and I fully expect that
we'll get this below the 8,000 kWh mark in the coming months. With
various efficiency improvements and by converting from fuel oil to
electricity, we've cut our utility costs by over $7,000.00 a year.

Cheers,
Paul