[Greenbuilding] Nyle HPWH Update

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 4 21:35:38 CST 2012

Just to clarify, in the year prior to our purchase, the previous owners
of this home consumed 5,700 litres of fuel oil and some 14,500 kWh of
electricity (family of four).  I gutted, insulated and air sealed our
entire home; replaced all windows and doors (Pella architectural series
low-e/argon); installed a high efficiency oil-fired boiler, indirect
water heater, Tekmar control system and HRV; added two high efficiency
ductless heat pumps which now carry our full heating load; an induction
cooker; and so on.

With that, we've eliminated fuel oil altogether (5,700 litres @
$1.086/litre = $6,190.20 + HST) and cut the home's electricity
requirements by 40 per cent (5,800 kWh @ $0.14/kWh = $812.00 + HST).

BTW, when it comes to heat loss and air infiltration in this part of the
world, here's a primer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxtu4Qk4Ks

Cheers,
Paul