[Greenbuilding] So, you think you can top this?

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 8 23:31:12 CST 2012

I've always prided myself on being rather stingy in my use of
electricity, but it appears I'm an unrepentant spendthrift compared to
past family members.  Whilst rummaging through my grandparent's papers,
I came across the power bill linked below (hand written, no less !),
dated September 1st, 1948.  It covers a 62-day billing cycle and the
total amount consumed is a whopping TWENTY-ONE kWh !

See:
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/NSP1948Statement.jpg

This wasteful scoundrel hangs his head in shame.

BTW, if anyone thinks 3-cents per kWh is cheap, according to the Bank of
Canada's Inflation Calculator, 3-cents in 1948 is the equivalent of
30-cents today.  All things considered, we have it pretty good.

Regards,
Paul