[Greenbuilding] wood shed

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 09:25:30 CST 2012

Yes, I know, not exactly greenbuilding, but there are many among us who
burn wood and since the list has been empty of conversation I thought I
would ask....

We are waaay ahead of ourselves in accumulating wood for our stove, several
years ahead in terms of stockpiling.  So we decided to build ourselves a
wood shed rather than continue what is now a pretty long line of wood
stacked neatly.  Bottom line, we ran out of tin to cover our stacks.  I
know a number of you have wood sheds so I'm curious what size and more
importantly what configuration works best for you.

Considerations: easy access both for stocking and for taking out;
sufficient room for splitting nearby, including under the shed, so the wood
doesn't have to be carried twice, shape of space with aesthetics in mind, a
real consideration.  We had thought a shallow shed roofed 10'x15', 6' at
the lower edge, 8'-9' at the higher might give us good room to figure out
the best interior configuration.

Seems to me I remember Rob Tom talking about his storage, essentially rows
of wood each row quite close to the one behind, sequentially stacked.  The
difficulty here, the oldest wood would be the last pulled out, so I suspect
I pictured it wrong.

Will be nice to hear what you wood burners do about a lot of wood.  Written
on a snowy but sunny morning where we here in NE Kansas have experienced
the only snow of the year, so far, a mere 1"+.  It will be gone by tomorrow.

Cheers, Sacie