[Greenbuilding] wood shed

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Tue Feb 14 09:51:38 CST 2012

On 2/14/2012 10:25 AM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:
> We are waaay ahead of ourselves in accumulating wood for our stove,
> several years ahead in terms of stockpiling.  So we decided to build
> ourselves a wood shed rather than continue what is now a pretty long
> line of wood stacked neatly.  Bottom line, we ran out of tin to cover
> our stacks.  I know a number of you have wood sheds so I'm curious what
> size and more importantly what configuration works best for you.

My current plan (i.e. no personal experience here) is to build a roof to
cover a year's supply.  For me, that is two cords.  I use 16" logs, so I
tend to stack 12 foot long piles 8 feet high (one cord).  Two such
stacks side by side would give a 12 foot by 4 foot footprint.  4 - 4x4
posts at the end of the stacks to hold up the roof, and simultaneously
contain the wood;  Something to keep the wood off the ground; Piles
accessible from all both sides.  Thicker than two stacks seems like it
would not get enough drying.  More years supply needed, the shed could
just be extended (in the long direction).

At some point however, you should stop stockpiling.  Sell the leftovers
or whatever.

Looking to hear other ideas.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn