[Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Tue Feb 21 08:35:15 CST 2012

On 2/20/2012 10:13 AM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:

> I've used tankless for years now but one aspect of the type I dislike is
> the fact a lot of water goes down the drain before the hot water finally
> reaches the faucet.  In this cabin the shower is within 10 feet, with
> the sinks not over 15'-18', but water loss nonetheless is a negative factor.

The extent to which you need to wait for hot water from any system is
inversely related to its total efficiency.  The distance from the heater
to the sink is (presumably) the same regardless of type.  The thermal
mass of the pipes is the same.  The only differences are the thermal
mass of the heating unit and power rating.  If a tank system provides
quicker hot water, it is because it is pre-heating the pipes, which is
potentially a heat loss.

Unless you have a faulty tankless (I saw one which didn't fire for 2
full minutes after the water was turned on), it should be very close to
the same wait time for two systems of equal efficiency.  Certainly the
majority of the waiting will be due to the thermal mass and length of
the pipes.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--