[Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 09:33:38 CST 2012

OK, OK re the time to get hot water comment, I erred in suggesting
annoyance with this.  It is an unintended side remark not relevant to my
original question which is to ask for a best solution for installing a new
hot water system in a cabin that will have one occupant.  This is not a
remote location; the plumbing is as deliberately compact as we could make
it.

I toy with the idea of a passive solar hot water system because the site is
highly suitable to this application, as is the main house, but cabin
installation would be much easier if a holding tank doesn't have to be too
large--ie it would fit in the shed in which the tankless now resides.

Alternatively can you recommend an efficient tankless?  Electrically based
POS would I suspect be more expensive in the long run.  When we were living
in the cabin we used about $50 propane every 3 mos; this being used for
showers, basin, kitchen sink and cooking/2 people.  Think those 100# tanks
cost more now, but this is pretty inexpensive IMO.

Problem now is the larger Rinnai and Takigi cost upwards of $1000+ for a
tankless that supplies a high volume of hot water/min.  While very
interesting, * I have no experience with those lesser expensive small
heaters that supply around 4gal/minute *with a temperature rise of 45
degrees.  In the winter our cold water is very cold, so I think that rise
is an important #, so these small heaters, suitable for RVs and outdoor
showers may not do it for us.  Could you folks comment on these for regular
indoor coordinated one/two person use?

Thinking out loud here, I'm wondering if I might better go to the old
fashioned small usual tank heater and simply insulate it well?

Relevant comments/advice welcome.

Thanks,  Sacie