[Greenbuilding] Off Topic: Gulf Coast Roof

Phil Schawe schawe at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 11:53:10 CST 2012

Along the Gulf Coast, I have seen older homes roofed with composition shingles and using Clay Tile Hips and Ridges. Has anyone ever done this and what advice would you have? Really like the contrasting look.

On really, really old homes they look like the hazardous asbestos diamond-shaped roof tiles. Would like to use a diamond shape composition shingle.

 Particularly worried about wind storm since the house I am working on is in a coastal area.

 Thanks for any tips!

 Phil