[Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Sun Feb 26 17:49:06 CST 2012

I'm afraid the only experience I have is with those of my own design and
manufacture. I can't recommend any one in particular, but the practicality
of retrofitting is by far the most important consideration. It might not be
feasible with any type, but, if you have a storey height or a decent hill to
work with, it could be painless.

You are right in that the small ones are limited to one shower. They can
supply several basins but it appears the flow restriction can kill them as
quickly as the lack of heat. Stiebel make big ones that will handle multiple
showers but they are seriously expensive and don't ask where the power comes
from. I have never seen one in domestic service. I don't think a small
instant to the kitchen sink is such a great idea in a cold climate but, if
you've already got it, you've already got it, and you would already know all
you need to know. We still have a one gallon high temperature storage tank
exclusively for the kitchen sink, which was once common practice.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW