[Greenbuilding] 100 miles builds

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 24 15:37:08 CST 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:08:20 -0500, Douglas E Lamb
<douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> Is this 100 mile movement forbadding exotic type foods and architectural
> elements from being consumed
> or just discouraging there consumption and relying upon local
> consumerism as
> a means of economy?

Although I was advised to ignore Douglas, since he's the only one talking
right now, I pretty much *have* to listen.

I don't know about others' reasons but many of us have been using the
"materials from within a 300 km radius of the building site" criteria for
small commercial as well as residential buildings for the same reason that
obese/out-of-shape people go on diets to restrict/reduce their consumption
of food and beverages -- it's a matter of health.

Minimising the radius of consumption as well as the volume of consumption
for buildings helps to minimise embodied-energy and hence, environmental
impact of the building.

One often sees the odd disconnect of people who are building "natural" or
Green buildings ostensibly to minimise environmental impact but then turn
around and import a special clay or processed lime from another continent
to make that building. D'oh!

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")