[Greenbuilding] 100 miles builds

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Sat Feb 25 07:48:10 CST 2012

On 2/24/2012 6:51 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:

> well, but in practice this might be a good proxy, no?

Not really.  The differences between types are just too large to make
this metric valuable.  Let's assume that 100 miles is by truck, and the
cargo is 1 ton.  An equivalent distance by plane would only be 35 miles,
but by rail it would be 984 miles, and by container ship 1704 miles.
And all of those pale beside the 30 miles for my Prius.

Put another way, a ton of polystyrene shipped by container ship from
Savannah GA, to Portland ME would be less embodied energy in transport
than a ton of straw at a farm 15 miles away that I have to pick up
myself in my car.

See what I mean?

> It gets people thinking about the issue of impact/footprint/etc.

But does it?  I suspect rather that it gives them a simple rule of thumb
which they can use INSTEAD of thinking.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--