[Greenbuilding] 100 miles builds

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Sun Feb 26 07:57:28 CST 2012

Something that is definitely not focused on enough is the art of
building for future unbuilding. If houses were easilly unbuilt there
wouldn't be this chasm between new construction and renovation.
Building would be like Lego. My company definitely does that now, for
example we have YET to buy new wood. We only salvage old. But it does
mean a lot of denailing and working with odd shapes. But most
difficult of all it requires more thinking. Is it financially worth it
after storage and labor (as if that is the deciding factor)? I think
so. Besides, what are you comparing it to? The dirt cheap 2x4 from
lowes that has more hidden costs to it than a house of horrors?
For me I see my salvaged wood costs as like paying with cash and the
Lowes wood as like paying with a credit card that somebody else has to
repay.