[Greenbuilding] 100 miles builds

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Sun Feb 26 13:20:09 CST 2012

Gennaro brings up a great topic.

"Unbuilding" (as he called it) is similar to what is known as Design
for Disassembly in product/industrial design.  When I talk about DfD
in architecture classes and events (and I have a section on it in my
about-to-be-released book -- apologies for plug), I typically start
out with some photos of standard building assemblies and demolition,
illustrating how they make it

1. Difficult -- often near impossible -- to separate materials for recycling
2. Difficult to upgrade or maintain buildings without destructive
reconstruction.

There are at least a couple of (non-exclusive) approaches to dealing
with this. In the industrial design version, we focus on using
mechanical fasteners and assemblies that allow easy separation of
parts for repair or recycling. The goal is using fewer (often toxic)
adhesives or other methods of attaching disparate materials so that
disassembly -- affecting both repair and recycling -- is made
simpler. I'm sure you can imagine the building construction parallels.

In conjunction with that, I'm a fan of Open Building (or Shearing
Layers), which recognizes that different building elements last
differing amounts of time and that the arrangement and fastening of
building systems should reflect this. For instance, make it simpler
to relocate electrical or plumbing with destroying finished surfaces.
Make it simpler to replace elements that wear out (e.g. windows) or
become technologically outmoded (e.g. lighting) so that a building
can more effectively be upgraded and thereby delay or obviate the
point at which it makes more sense to tear it down than to upgrade.

Gennaro's Lego analogy is pretty good though Erector Sets might
illustrate it a bit better. There are better yet examples in the
natural world. I'm thinking, for instance, of the processes by which
trees grow: layers transforming over time; parts (leaves) that
separate easily to allow growth and replacement, while themselves
becoming nutrients for the growth of trees an other organisms.

 From a designer's point of view, we should not think of our
responsibilities ending when the C of O is signed. (I'm not talking
about legal responsibilities.) But instead view our "children" as
growing, evolving creatures.

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291

author - Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design