[Greenbuilding] A question regarding sealing in VOCs

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Feb 26 12:05:15 CST 2012

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:23:47 -0500, Racheli Gai
<racheli at sonoracohousing.com> wrote:

> my son and daughter in law are buying a house that stinks
> of recent painting job, new carpets, etc. which they'd like to get rid
> of.)

Racheli;

Rather than add more gunk to the chemical stew of their indoor air
environment by painting over and sealing stuff, it may be preferable to do
a "bake-out" to accelerate the off-gassing process -- essentially heating
the interior to a higher-than-normal temp ( > 35 degC) for > 48 hours
while simultaneously ventilating the building at a higher-than-normal
air-change rate.

If you Google using something like " cook off VOCs new building" you
should find some relevant info WRT specifics and details.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")