[Greenbuilding] A question regarding sealing in VOCs

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Sun Feb 26 23:21:55 CST 2012

If it¹s new and in decent shape, see if (not coincidental to our other
conversation) a reuse center around you (like Habitat Restore) will take it.
Or try to donate to a shelter, Salvation Army, local vets group, etc. You
can always donate the AFM sealers as well if you don¹t want to pass those
legacy chemicals. You may have to transport it‹some places have trucks but
many don¹t.  Or, google ³carpet recyling² near you to see if anyone will
take it, shred it and recycle it. That goes for the pad too.

On 2/26/12 1:50 PM, "Racheli Gai" <racheli at sonoracohousing.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Jason.
>
> They are planning to tear out the carpets.  Any good use for that shit?
> (Actually, I shouldn't offend shit,
> which can be composted, unlike this stuff...)
>
> Best,
> Racheli.
> On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:33 AM, Jason Holstine wrote:
>
>> Re: [Greenbuilding] A question regarding sealing in VOCs
>> AFM Safecoat. You can do a couple of combinations.
>>
>> One coat of their Transitional Primer and 2 coats paint (any color; flat,
>> pearl, eggshell or semigloss sheens)
>>
>> If the offgas/odor is especially bothersome, you can first do a coat of their
>> Hard Seal (which is a clear gloss sealer specifically to seal in offgassing;
>> good for plywoods and surfaces that will remain exposed), then a coat of
>> Transitional Primer and 2 coats paint.  Each coat adds more sealing
>> capability.
>>
>> They have a trifecta for handling carpet: Shampoo, Lock-in and Carpet
>> Sealer...to wash out loose contaminants, seal in junk from the backing and
>> adhesives, and seal in from the carpet fibers.
>>
>> For particleboards and surfaces that won¹t be exposed, their Safe Seal is a
>> greater sealer than the Hard Seal. But it remains sticky to the touch, thus
>> why it¹s best when not exposed (behind a wall, under a cabinet, etc).
>>
>> And their polyurethane (Polyureseal BP) is a great wood finish but also the
>> best sealer. So in order from good to best: Hard Seal ­ Safe Seal ­
>> Polyureseal.
>>

>> On 2/26/12 10:23 AM, "Racheli Gai" <racheli at sonoracohousing.com
>> <x-msg://606/racheli@sonoracohousing.com> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Are there wall paints that seal in VOCs of previous paints, or is it
>>> necessary to first apply a sealant, and then to paint over it?
>>> Also, if anyone has recommendations for good sealers, please inform me...
>>> (my son and daughter in law are buying a house that stinks
>>> of recent painting job, new carpets, etc. which they'd like to get rid of.)
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Racheli.