[Greenbuilding] Cherry wood finish, was: Re: A question regarding sealing in VOCs [Ventilation]

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Wed Feb 29 08:37:28 CST 2012

Hi Don,

I have used a hardwood floor finish, from Eco House in New Brunswick, http://eco-house.com/, called #270 Hardwood Floor Oil.  It's made from a combo oflinseed oil, chinese Tung oil, pine resin ester, carnauba wax, citrus thinner, and uses lead-free driers.  I've used it on our cherry and maple kitchen cabinets, as well as our stairs. Kitchen still looks great, and sheds water.

It has mostly worn off of our White Pine stair treads, in a ten year period, so of course there are obvious grey areas on the main traffic areas of each tread.  If I wasn't so lazy, (or is that Busy?), I'd find time on a weekend to sand and repair. But maybe after my work life slows down a bit ...

Also very similar are products made for Bio-Shields, available in the South West USA.  I believe Bio-Shields imports their 'healthy' products from Germany, but I'm not certain about that. Anyone else know for sure?

Cheers,

Frank
Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design
www.livingsol.com
613 756 3884

This is a somewhat related question (although it is a bit of a stretch!) - I am building a set of stairs with cherry treads and am looking for a finish - It does not have to be too durable as there are only two of us in the house.
  I do not want a high gloss (slippery) finish, I want the wood look but do not want a broken whatever after slipping and falling down the stairs.
I was thinking of some sort of oil finish that would leave the wood grain exposed - sacrificing some wood wear for maximizing safety and letting any VOCs dissipate with open windows in the spring and summer.

Any thoughts that the group may have appreciated.

Thanks Don