[Greenbuilding] Low powered (wattage) water heaters availablethrough Hydro Quebec

Peter Kidd peterkidd at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 1 11:12:41 CST 2012

A TOU tariff is only an incentive.  To the extent it is successful, and
success may just mean fewer distribution system failures, it is a
benefit to the utility, but it does not actually change a utility's
liability for a peak that is still possible, when people can sip their
$4 latte, er, still use "peak" hot water.

Utility controlled load shedding (intentional), turning off customers'
hot water tanks for example, is an alternative utility strategy.  Many
of the people on this list are probably already doing things a utility
might encourage people to do, where the utility shares common interest.