[Greenbuilding] Low powered (wattage) water heaters availablethrough Hydro Quebec

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Sun Jan 1 18:07:49 CST 2012

  -----Original Message-----
  From: greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org]On Behalf Of Peter
Kidd

  A TOU tariff is only an incentive.  To the extent it is successful, and
success may just mean fewer distribution system failures, it is a benefit to
the utility, but it does not actually change a utility's liability for a
peak that is still possible, when people can sip their $4 latte, er, still
use "peak" hot water.

  God, am I reading this on a green building forum?
  It's not just a benefit to the utility, it's a benefit to the consumer.
Further, that sort of tariff was always a benefit to the national
infrastructure and is now clearly a benefit to the entire planet.  That is
why I can't understand why those slack-arsed laggards who didn't have it
seventy years ago, still don't have it now. And, while it doesn't change a
utility's liabilities, it makes a hell of a difference to the utility's
ability to meet them.

  Utility controlled load shedding (intentional), turning off customers' hot
water tanks for example, is an alternative utility strategy.

  I suppose it could be just an alternative, but I have never heard of that
and it sounds like possibe grounds for insurrection. The usual deal is that
the supplier's control of the consumer's tank is an integral part of the
off-peak rates deal. And I guess that is why, in Australia at least, smal
tanks were excluded.

  Nick Pyner

  Dee Why   NSW