[Greenbuilding] studies on CFLs and health issues

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Wed Jan 4 11:41:34 CST 2012

A couple of unscientific studies:

A couple years ago we were shooting a TV episode with Steve Thomas (This Old
House, Renovation Nation) and reviewed CFLs vs. LEDs. Our Australian
Shepherd got a ³whiff² of a plugged-in LED bulb and didn¹t flinch or
respond. She got a ³whiff² of a plugged-in CFL bulb and did not like it‹she
jumped back and avoided it. Canine instinct.

Over several years of working with customers of all stripes, I¹ve become a
believer that exposure to EMF and other ³waves², including the magnetic
pulses given off by fluorescent bulbs, can have a deleterious effect on some
individuals¹ health.  It seems that it can also be tied to Seasonal
Affective Disorder and psychosomatics, but that doesn¹t make it
illegitimate.

Although this is anecdotal, I think it¹s proof as a legitimate concern.