[Greenbuilding] chandelier bulb recommendation?

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Wed Jan 4 23:42:04 CST 2012

Lynelle,

There are some decent GU10 LED bulbs that we¹ve come across and a couple of
them are pretty popular. We¹re waiting samples of a new line that is also
made in Tampa, Florida, USA, instead of China (a nice bonus).

These guys will typically cost about $29/ea. But my
late-night-back-of-the-envelope comes to 3.096 kwh of savings over a 12 hour
period (slashing from 50W to 7W = 43 watts saved x 6 units x 12 hours). So
at US$0.12/kwh = $.371 saved per day or $11.14 saved per 30 day month. So
that¹s about a 15 month payback. Someone with a more alert brain may need to
back up my math.

These LED units will get warmer than other LEDs but nothing compared to a
halogen.

One caution: GU10 fixtures all are wired for halogens and all that extra
load. We¹ve run into conversion problems b/c the transformer may require a
load that would be much greater than what the LEDs will pull. As in wanting
700 watts but you¹re only pulling 70 watts‹not even close. If you want to
dim them it becomes really tricky. If you don¹t need to dim, it¹s much
easier.  But see if you can find out if there¹s a documented minimum load
the transformer calls for.

Jason Holstine

Amicus Green Building Center
³Sustain Your Space²
Member - USGBC, GreenAmerica, NARI, NAHB
e: jason at amicusgreen.com
w: www.amicusgreen.com
p: 301-571-8590
tf: 866-587-9140