[Greenbuilding] Legionnaire's in water wall features

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 12 10:09:40 CST 2012

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 05:48:47 -0500, John Daglish <johndaglish at free.fr>
wrote:

> just to repeat ultrafiltration or ultrasound/UV can reduce the risk
> considerably... ultrafiltration at < 5 microns
> is smaller than the legionella bugs

Oy! Qu'est-ce qui se passe, mon ami John?

Perhaps this helps to explain why I`m still alive and feel the complacency
that I do WRT legionella exposure (as I speculated the last time this
subject surfaced a few months ago

http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/greenbuilding_lists.bioenergylists.org/2011-August/002200.html

	`Perhaps long-term, daily exposure to low doses of Legionella in the
course
	of our daily washing activities has helped a large portion of that 25% of
	the population who apparently have contaminated HWHs, to develop a degree
	of immunity to that bacteria ?`  )

I have an inexpensive whole house in-line filter on the supply line after
the pressure tank, the intention being to  filter out the sediment and
particulates in our very hard water that is drawn from a well drilled
through 18 metres of a pocket of Nepean-March Formation sandstone which
sits in a depression of the granite of the Canadian Shield.

The filter supposedly is effective down to 5 microns.  On second thought
though, that filter being on the inlet side of the DHWH wouldn`t do
anything WRT removing legionella bred in the DHWH and fed into the HW
supply lines.

Nor does it help to explain why the sun-warmed rainwater in the
rainbarrels from which I draw water to shower every morning after bike
rides, hasn`t killed me.  It would seem that the well-below 60 degC
conditions inside a sun-warmed rain barrel (with no filtration of roof
runoff ) would create ideal conditions for harbouring legionella (not to
mention West Nile virus-transmitting mosquitoes) etc.

And yet, I`m still here, alive and well. Most puzzling. Eh?

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")