[Greenbuilding] CO2 emissions from glass (was Re: Yes, but is it Green ?)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 15 11:44:41 CST 2012

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 09:23:14 -0500, sanjay jain <sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

quoting Doug who wrote:

>> Imagine how much is sitting in a 1000 year
> old arch dig site and how long it has been emitting CO2.
>
> Doug, what do you mean buried glass is emitting CO2? I know it takes a
> lot of fossil fuel to make glass (my family in India used to make glass
> using coal).... but does it continue to emit?

Not that I doubt the words of anyone who contributes to this forum [cough,
gag, hack, choke]. Excuse me. Don't know what brought that on.

For the longest time I've been under the impression that glass is inert.

If it's so volatile that it gives off emissions simply as a result of
sitting there, then it would not make much sense to use the material for
things like test tubes or petrie dishes in research labs because leachate
or emissions would contaminate the items that they're trying to determine
the characteristics of.

Or so one would think.

And geeze. For the past few years I've been switching over to glass dishes
because I didn't like the idea of eating and drinking from glazed ceramic
items which may or may not have used lead in the glazes ... and for a
similar reason, using glass cookware instead of coated non-stick cookware
... all based on the assumption that glass is inert.

And one would think that if glass is continually losing something from
itself (ie emissions) then it wouldn't be very durable .. you know, like
how PVC turns into $#!+ after a short time in part because it's
off-gassing vinyl chloride, the stuff that caused NASA to ban its use
decades ago because it was gumming up their sensitive gadgetry.  And yet,
one needs diamond or carbide in order to score glass for cutting. ie Steel
won't do the trick.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")