[Greenbuilding] Yes, but is it Green ?

Douglas E Lamb douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com
Sun Jan 15 21:13:58 CST 2012

Mr. Sanjay Jain,

After re-reading what I wrote I have to redact my comment regarding
archeological glass and CO2
No, buried glass is not the concern.
My bad!
What is of concern related to excavation and CO2 is what happens when the
the earth beneath the surface becomes exposed to atmospheric conditions.
What I did not enumerate upon is the metamorphic alterations of
archeological glass in water or beneath the earth in conjunction with
chemical results of CO2. Science has found them to be minimal.

Further more, Glass production is a complex issue in itself, i.e. (the
following are findings form a part of research I did)

"The main global impact factor is the production of CO2 due to the burning
of fossil fuels in the heating of the furnace and production of electricity
to supply the compressors. Typically a ton of glass packed will liberate
between 500 and 900 kg of CO2, assuming a gas fired furnace and coal fired
electricity usage. In areas with predominantly renewable or nuclear energy,
the CO2 released comes only from the conversion of carbonates to oxides in
the ingredients of the glass itself.

In all glass, the sodium and potassium oxides are hygroscopic; therefore,
the surface of the glass absorbs moisture from the air. The absorbed
moisture and exposure to carbon dioxide causes the NaO2 or NaOH and KO2 or
KOH to convert to sodium or potassium carbonate."

I must add that a byproduct of the manufacturing of lead based glass for
flat screen TVs is arsenic. I have direct experience dealing with this
particular condition in glass production.

More over research surrounding a specific condition of the adverse effects
of exposed organic CO2 can be found in the Link that follows;
There are (2) extinct volcanic craters filled with water and they contain
hundreds of liters of CO2 and have over time been responsible for the deaths
of many inhabitant of the surrounding areas;
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/06/carbon-dioxide-as-a-volcanic-hazar
d-at-the-dieng-plateau-and-beyond/
These areas have recently been evacuated in anticipation of an eruption of
the CO2 gas form the lake.

Sorry if I missreped my opinion with confusing facts. I'll take better care
not to jump into the fray so rapidly next time.

By the way are you aware of the "Green" efforts being forged in
Warwickshire. I'm originally form New Castle and have been getting some bits
and pieces about how things are moving along on the "Green Front" back home.

Regards,
Doug Lamb
douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com

  _____