[Greenbuilding] windows - flush vs recessed

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 16 08:59:19 CST 2012

I have heard the PH wants the window in the middle, but I have not seen much benefit when I model non-conductive framed windows in wood frame walls using FRAME.  This may be a "rule" that comes from European walls in the 90's, and does not apply as well to North American walls today.  In fact, with a plywood buck, and exterior foam insulation, locating the window nearer (not flush) the outside tends to get a few percent better than installing near the middle (because the exterior rigid insulation has a higher R per inch and has no thermal bridges).  The center of wall maybe the best answer in a double stud wall however.
I have taken IR photos of triple-glazed fibreglass windows installed near the exterior in a plywood buck in an R45 wall and I could not see too much effect, and it mostly validated the THERM runs.

It is at least as important to pull the windows in  a bit (even an inch makes a big difference) to protect them from rain.
In practise, we find the design is often driven by how easy it is to integrate subsill drainage to the drainage plane of the wall.  Some walls allow easier drainage at the middle, others easier at the exterior.
One design to avoid at all costs is the one which covers the window frame with exterior insulation, therbey trapping rain leaks in the wall (but reducing building heat loss by as much as 1%).

John