[Greenbuilding] windows - flush vs recessed

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Mon Jan 16 08:49:10 CST 2012

thoughtful article.  PH teaches that the optimum location for windows is
near the center of the section, based on modeling in THERM.  an important
consideration is preventing a metal flange from acting like a cooling
fin--.  this, however, is based only on conductance, and does not consider
wind lashing or exposure to rain, which is discussed in the article.

the conductance approach also does not consider shading/solar gain, another
important factor--but this is carefully analyzed in other portions of PH
design.

lastly, all this should be integrated with the location of the vapor
barrier, air barrier, and rain screen and flashing...

-aa

*Alan Abrams**
Abrams Design Build LLC*
*A sustainable approach to beautiful space*

6411 Orchard Avenue Suite 102
Takoma Park, MD 20912
office  301-270-NET- ZERO (301-270-6380)
fax      301-270-1466
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com