[Greenbuilding] windows - flush vs recessed

Stuart Fix sfix at renubuildings.com
Mon Jan 30 15:28:31 CST 2012

Yep, there is a lot of dogma in the PH world, and it's up to the more
technically capable PH consultants to wade through it and
reconstruct/translate proper location specific best practices. It's a
challenge I'm dealing with daily. Same goes for properly interpreting
performance predictions for these incredibly efficient buildings from
PHPP, HOT2000, IES, etc, it's a tough slog (these programs were mostly
designed to compare model to model, not predict reality). There's always
been a language wall between Germany and North American PH teachers, so
those who didn't have answers to questions tended to say "oh ya that's
based on German optimization"..

At the end of the day though, I'd prefer a legion of PH Zombies chanting
"0.6ACH, no thermal bridges, 18" slab insulation, import our German
windows, (give me your brains!)" over a legion of uneducated, uninspired,
and generally useless race-to-the-bottom building designers/trades. I
think that PH has filled a vacuum for a large group of designers/builders
in North America who were wanting to build REALLY good buildings but
didn't know how. PH shows them the path, whether they understand it or
not, and I think it's unquestionable that PH buildings are industry
leading, even if they go beyond typical cost rational.

It's the lesser of two evils in my mind, but you may disagree... ;)

In speaking with European PH colleagues, they want to make the most
efficient buildings possible (seemingly ignoring cost at times). They
strive for 0.06 ACH at 50Pa, U=0.2 windows, 99.9% efficient ventilation, etc
(I think most Germans have OCD..). The fixation on certain performance
numbers is more of a North American thing, people cling to these metrics
from Germany since they're typically much better than what people thought
possible. Whether there's a reason for us to continually improve as they
are in Germany, or for us to back off a bit on certain parameters will
shake out in time with experience.

Cheers,

Stuart Fix, P.Eng., LEED® AP
PHI Certified Passive House Designer
MASc. Building Science
Mechanical Engineer
ReNü Building Science Inc.

#206, 506B St. Albert Trail | St. Albert, Alberta | T8N 5Z1 | C.
780.554.8192 | sfix at renubuildings.com