[Greenbuilding] solar heat collection

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Wed Jul 4 19:39:45 CDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org]On Behalf Of
Corwyn

On 7/4/2012 3:36 PM, Clarke Olsen wrote:

>        though it seems that loops pulling heat out should be high in the
water,
>           and one putting heat in could stay on the bottom.

Yes, indeed I'm sure that is what everybody does, and with good reason.

>You will get better stratification if the incoming water from the
>collector, is heating the warmest water at the top of the tank, it will
>also be a more efficient heat exchanger.

I submit that takes a lot of explaining. Heat exchangers fundamentally rely
on the temperature difference, the "heat gradient". The greater the
difference, the steeper the gradient. The incoming water from the collector
will not find that at the top of the tank.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW