[Greenbuilding] solar heat collection

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Thu Jul 5 06:44:17 CDT 2012

On 7/4/2012 8:39 PM, Nick Pyner wrote:

>  >You will get better stratification if the incoming water from the
>  >collector, is heating the warmest water at the top of the tank, it will
>  >also be a more efficient heat exchanger.
>
> I submit that takes a lot of explaining. Heat exchangers fundamentally
> rely on the temperature difference, the "heat gradient". The greater the
> difference, the steeper the gradient. The incoming water from the
> collector will not find that at the top of the tank.

So I will try to explain.  Basically what you are trying to achieve is
the same thing as a cross-flow heat exchanger.  Let's assume the
incoming water is 180°, and the tank is 150° at the top and 120° at the
bottom.  Instead of considering the whole tank as a single thing, divide
it into two boxes.  Now imagine running the incoming water through two
exchanges, through one or both boxes in any order.  Which arrangement
gets you the most heat?  Assume 100% efficiency and equal amounts of
water in the tube and in the boxes to make the calculations obvious.

If you run the water through just the cooler box, both end up at 150° (
and obviously, the warmer box stay 150°).  If you run through the warm
box and then the cool box, the top box (and the water when it is done)
end up at 165°, then the cooler box and the water end up at 142.5°.  So
you have extracted 7.5 more degrees of warmth from the incoming water,
so more efficient; plus you have a max temperature of 165° rather than
150° so more stratification (higher usable energy).

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap