[Greenbuilding] Commercial Water Heaters

Richard Garbary richard6 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 16:39:00 CDT 2012

Paul:

Awesome hack! It's too bad the ability to  de-rate wasn't a built-in
feature. Yesterday, I took out the timer for our 60 gallon Rheem and
replaced it with a digital touch screen dimmer. I've set it for 25%
meaning bottom element is 94 watts and the top 188 watts (fast
recovery!), for a max consumption of 4.5 kwh per day. In the summer,
4.5 kwh usage is about right. I may need to adjust accordingly. I'll
post some new charts over the next few days. The spreadsheet gives the
% output and corresponding kw numbers.

http://flatteningthecurve.wordpress.com/

Richard