[Greenbuilding] Commercial Water Heaters

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 20 16:27:10 CDT 2012

Thanks, Richard. I'm greatly impressed by what you've been able to
achieve thus far. Congratulations ! I find myself on a somewhat similar
mission; namely: 1) to reduce our home's energy use to the greatest
extent possible (but without giving up our dryer); 2) to minimize
concurrent demand; and 3) to shift as much of our discretionary
consumption to off-peak hours.

Our 2,500 sq. ft., circa 1968 Cape Cod is now, for all intents and
purposes, all-electric and we've cut our total household requirements to
just over 9,000 kWh per annum (the previous owners in the year prior to
our purchase consumed some 5,700 litres of heating oil and 14,500 kWh of
electricity). Initially, I thought I'd "quit" once we dropped below
12,000 kWh a year, then 10,000, but now I'm determined to break through
the 9,000 mark.

As you may recall, we have two Sanyo high efficiency ductless heat pumps
and they supply 100 per cent of our space heating needs. These units are
plugged into power monitors (so too our electric water heater) and this
information is recorded in a spreadsheet. During the heating season, I
also log hourly outdoor temperatures so that I can see how temperature
influences demand.

You can view a breakout of our 2011-2012 heating season at:

Oct – http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/2011-10.jpg
Nov – http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/2011-11.jpg
Dec – http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/2011-12.jpg
Jan – http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/2012-01.jpg
Feb – http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/2012-02.jpg
Mar – http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/2012-03.jpg
Apr – http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/2012-04.jpg
May – http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/2012-05.jpg

The blue line is our mean daily temperature, with the left axis being
°C; the right axis is kWh and each column represents the combined usage
of these units on that particular day.

BTW, we've been selected to participate in PowerShift Atlantic's test
project (see:
http://www.nspower.ca/en/home/environment/powershift/residential.aspx ;
see also: http://www.powershiftatlantic.com/). If the results prove
favourable, electric water heaters throughout Atlantic Canada could be
used to store excess wind energy during times of low demand and cycled
on and off intelligently whenever the power system is under critical
strain. This will hopefully allow us to add more renewable energy to our
generation mix beyond what would be possible otherwise with respect to
grid stability.

Regards,
Paul