[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 24 18:05:04 CDT 2012

This has been a funny conversation. I am surprised at the defensiveness in
the reactions. This is just a discussion - the reality is that everyone is
just part of their community and are not likely in their lifetime to step
very far outside of what is acceptable and normal (unless they want to be
medicated or sanctified or both) and being green at this point is considered
acceptable. 75% of American households use dryers and that percentage goes
up by income so I take it for granted that the majority of this list is
happily using dryers as 82% of consumers are green consumers.

The discussion though is interesting (if fewer people would take offense).
Only 50% of Europe use dryers and why is that? Are their houses more mouldy
as a result? So lets talk about moisture load as that seems to be the popes
nose for some. A dryer costs roughly $.30 per load and and 200 cfm fan
running continuously for 8 hours (probably the time to take care of
exhausting an 8lb of laundry moisture load in a house) would cost roughly
$.03. So putting a rack in the bathroom and cranking up the fan is not a bad
scenario. Perhaps that is what Europe is doing. That gets interesting when
you look at electrical consumption per person per year for the us and
Europe. US is 1363 watts per person (2011) European union is 689.