[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Sat Jul 28 10:01:50 CDT 2012

<Can you clarify for me how Lyme Disease and line drying are connected?>

ticks have an affinity for fabric.  my brother, a parasitologist, used to
work on tick surveys:  an area is staked out, and the ground is
methodically dragged with piece of a bedsheet of a specified size and
weave.  The ticks cling to the fabric, which is unfurled, allowing the
surveyor to classify and tally the catch.

so it's easy to imagine one of these critters hitching a ride on the edge
of a sheet or garment that brushes the lawn, as it is retrieved from the
laundry basket as it is hung.

(yikes!--is this an argument for ironing as a method of de-ticking line
hung laundry?)

-a

Alan Abrams*
Abrams Design Build LLC*
*design for purposeful living*

6411 Orchard Avenue Suite 102
Takoma Park, MD 20912
office  301-270-NET- ZERO (301-270-6380)
fax      301-270-1466
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com