[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Matt Dirksen dirksengreen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 11:10:41 CDT 2012

Thanks Alan,

I didn't know that's how they do their surveys!?

I might add that in the specific part of Maryland I live in (across the street from Greenbelt National Park) the deer population in our area has been observed at around 100 deer per square mile. I understand this to be around ten times greater than normal.

Here is a link to the current alert at the park: http://www.nps.gov/gree/planyourvisit/tick-information.htm

Deer like to come up and rub against all the trees in the back yard, which significantly raises the "risk". When we did more line drying a couple years ago, we'd end up tossing certain loads into the dryer afterward, simply due to obvious tick exposure (who knows how they got there up since ticks don't exactly climb trees.) This past spring, we've pulled around 20-30 ticks off the kids alone, most of which are deer ticks.  My 7 year old just got off of antibiotics  due to a tick bite. Fortunately, I think we got it in time.

We line dry less and use a dryer more due to several reasons beyond convenience. What I do wish for is for a little screen on top of the dryer to remind me of just how many kwh's I just consumed to dry a load. Infact, it might be a nice thing to have something like that on all the big energy consumers in one's home.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Matt Dirksen
Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.