[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 22:14:10 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 4:36 AM, nick pine <nick at early.com> wrote:

> Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> writes:
>
>  The fact is that in the 1930s and 40s many of our (US) household
>> appliances were very efficient: water heaters, refrigerators, kitchen
>> stoves, toilets, etc.
>>

> A lot of appliances are more efficient today.

O.K. I'll bite.
Name one or two or three.

> I lived with an old sidearm water heater with NO insulation.

I have one too, and you're right about the no-insulation part, but the heat
transfer efficiency is what - 4x better? 8x? Efficiency isn't usefully
measured or compared without context. A side arm water heater could (have)
easily been used in a manner (I'm thinking of the Ingalls' family's
practice of bathing on Saturday evening) where the (considerably more
efficient) heat transfer efficiency more than made up for the lack of
insulation. Just as an example.