[Greenbuilding] Energy Star Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Paul M. Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 30 14:07:25 CDT 2012

Hi Reuben,

A few examples come to mind.  The tube wireless set that sat on my
grandmother's kitchen table would have consumed roughly 50 watts,
whereas the portable radio on my kitchen counter uses just 1-watt.

My induction hobs are likely twice as efficient in terms of their heat
transfer as the coil-type heating elements that would have been used in
electric cookers back in the '30s or '40s.

With regards to refrigeration, a 17-cubic foot GE GTH17BBC refrigerator
has an EnerGuide rating of 300 kWh per annum.  In one of your papers,
you tell us that the average refrigerator sold in 1941 (with an interior
volume of 6.3 cubic feet), tested according to today's procedures, would
consume 350 kWh/year.

The Philips LED lamps in my kitchen produce more light than the 60-watt
incandescents used by my grandparents and consume just 9.7-watts.

Lastly, I don't know the operating efficiency of my grandparent's coal
burning fireplaces, but I can only assume it was extremely low; my two
ductless heat pumps have a seasonal operating efficiency of 270 per cent.

Cheers,
Paul

>/  Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com  > writes:
/>/
/>/   The fact is that in the 1930s and 40s many of our (US) household
/>>/  appliances were very efficient: water heaters, refrigerators, kitchen
/>>/  stoves, toilets, etc.
/>>/
/>/
/>/  A lot of appliances are more efficient today.
/>

>O.K. I'll bite.
>Name one or two or three.

Sent from my BlackBerry® PlayBook™