[Greenbuilding] living within means was ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 30 10:35:47 CDT 2012

There is a contradiction here as Americans with 'means' tend to consume more
not less. US energy consumption finally peaked in 2000 but that coincided
with both loss of jobs and personal wealth (income/means).

Efficiency is tangible - defining sustainable usage is less so. US still
consumes double the energy of the EU on a per capita and 20% of world
energy.

One of the paradoxes of how we look at efficiency in north America is that
it requires consumption of 'energy efficient' products to be efficient.

The average US home size in 2009 was 2700 square feet (compared to 1400 in
1970) - how does one even begin to live within that box and live within some
global concept of 'means'